|40 things to do before I turn 40|
Excuse my language but, holy crap, I turn 40 in 2014. That is in 16 days.
OK, I don't turn 40 in 16 days, not until September actually, but in the year 2014, I'll be 40. Yeah, I know, I know...age is just a number. But, 40? really? When did I get so old? I swear I was in high school just a couple of years ago. I don't want to say that I am freaking out about 40, but I am definitely taking it harder than 30. Ohhh... 30 is young, I can see that now. 30 felt like a transition into adulthood. I liked turning 30 because I felt like it was the age where people finally would take me seriously as an adult. I may have been wrong about that. Where as 30 felt like a transition into adulthood, 40 feels like a transition into...old age. But enough freaking out (for now).
I don't have any reason to worry. Life has only has gotten better as I have gotten older. Hubby and I have been together 17 years (married 9). We own a house, a dog, have good jobs, relative financial security, good health, and more happiness than ever before in our lives. We are comfortable and happy. Our 30s have been good to us.
So in lieu of new year resolutions this year, I am making a 40 before 40 list. These are 40 things that I want to do before I turn 40. 40 things? In nine and a half months? That is four or five things a month, so they are not all epic (some are epic), but 40 things that I'd like to do before I turn 40. Some of these are easy. Some of these are fun. Some will make my heart feel good. Some will make my heart stronger. Some will be challenging and take a crap load of commitment. Some of these I have been yammering on about doing for years. Some may actually be down right impossible! My goal is to dream big and put it all out there. The worst thing that will happen is that I won't complete them all...but what if I add it to the list, then I actually do it? How awesome would that be?
I didn't make up this concept. I couldn't remember where I had seen it, so I Googled it in order to find my source to credit, and it turns out that this is a thing all over the internet, except most people seem to make their 40 before 40 list when they turn 30. Oops. I'm about nine years too late. I have a lot of work to do in nine and a half months. I'd say we start in January, but I need all the time I can get. Starts today!
So without further ado, in no particular order:
40 Before 40
1. Go back to my hometown to run the Pittsburgh half marathon in May
personal training certification test (yeah, I haven't done that yet)
3. Run a full marathon (yeah, I haven't done that yet either)
4. Work out with a trainer
5. Donate food to the dog shelter and/or volunteer to walk a dog
6. Attend another blog conference (this time a fitness focused one!)
7. Go on a cruise with my sister (already in the works)
9. Go to a Yoga class
10. Read one book a month (recommendations for great non-fiction?)
11. Get back to my ideal weight
12. Get back into the habit of lifting weights regularly
13. Run a race at the beach
15. Go to a Steelers game in Pittsburgh! (Pittsburgh friends? Make this happen!)
16. Help grow my husband's business, double the number of customers
17. PR my half marathon time (1:59) or PR my 10K time (51:04) or PR my 5K time (27:11)
18. Cook a *new* healthy recipe once a month
19. Run streak in 2014. At least one mile a day (run or walk)
21. Start back up #plankaday
23. See Jack White in concert (Please!?!)
24. Meet Alison Mosshart (hey, dream big!)
25. Volunteer my time
26. Submit an article to a magazine
27. Learn to play a song on the guitar
28. Sign up for eLance.com
29. Go on vacation with hubby somewhere we have never been before
30. 10k Twitter followers @Gealenders <-- You can help me with this one!
31. Rent a bike in Trinity Park
32. Do something on Groupon that I've never done before
33. Write an eBook (eeeek)
34. Get up at 5am everyday again (and like it)
35. Go stand up paddle boarding
36. Take Bob Harper's spin class in LA (!!!???!!!)
37. Stay out of debt
38. Do something big with Fitfluential (who knows what future opportunities will bring?)
39. Do something that scares the heck out of me
40. Reward myself BIG TIME for attempting such an awesome list
After writing out my 40 before 40 list, I realize it reads part like a New Year's Resolution list, part like a bucket list, part like a pay if forward list, and part like fantasy list, but I have found that if you write things down, they are more likely to happen. I don't mean that in some magical sense, but if you put it out there, and work towards your dreams and goals, they can and will happen (maybe even the things that seem impossible)!
Like this post? Please consider sharing.
Ways to (legally) stalk me:
"LIKE" the Running with Ollie Blog page on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @GeaLenders
Let's track each other's workouts on Dailymile
See what I am up to on Pinterest
Add me to your circles on Google +
Follow me on Instagram @runningwithollie
photo credit: delayedneutron via photopin cc