Sunday, April 22, 2012
Sunday, April 1, 2012
I said I was going to run at least 365 miles this year, run (or walk) at least one mile a day, every day. So far three months in, I have kept that resolution. Of course, most days I ran way more than one mile, and this week I hit the 365 mile mark.
I also said I was going to run one race a month in 2012. For the first three months I have accomplished that goal:
In January I ran a 15 mile race with Fort Worth Running Company.
In February, I flew out to Huntington Beach for the Surf City Half Marathon.
In March, I ran the Dallas Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon.
I am scheduled to run the Fort Worth Zoo Run 10K on April 21st (which also happens to be Record Store Day, but that is a blog for another day on my other blog).
I have far exceed my weight loss goals. I shed those Christmas pounds and then some.
I started the strength training program, Body for Life, six weeks ago and am on track to complete the program within the 12 weeks. I did boot camp for the first 6 weeks of the year, then switched over to Body For Life for my strength training. It is has been fun, rewarding and most of all, hard. I am looking forward to the next six weeks and the changes I will see in my body and gains in strength.
The one thing that I said I was gong to do, but haven't lifted a pinky to accomplish, is study for my personal training certification. I wrote about it here six weeks ago and haven't managed to do a single thing to progress towards my goal. This is why it is time to refocus and access my goals and my plans to accomplish them. This is how I feel about the Internet and my goals:
Which brings me to my April goals. I share this here with you, more for me than for you. It gives me a sense of accountability (to someone other than myself) when I publish my goals publicly.
April Goal #1. Internet Fast: It is THAT time again. Time for a short Internet/Facebook fast in order to free up time to accomplish my goals.
The Internet-Fast rules.
- No Facebook browsing in April. If I receive a text notification that someone has sent me a personal message or posted something on my wall, it is OK to log in and check it out. No mindless browsing on the computer, the Kindle or my phone.
- No Pinterest browsing. While Pinterest has it's place for awesome recipes, crafts and workout motivation and sites, it takes up entirely too much of my free time. Time to back off. April will be virtually Pinterest free.
- I can and will continue to check my e-mail, write my blog and update my workouts on the DailyMile website.
April Goal #2: With all this time I am freeing up I will study at least one hour a night, five days a week, for my personal training certification. This is a big one for me. I can do it. I WILL do it.
April Goal #3: Move my Tuesday/Thursday runs to the morning and start back to Yoga at the gym in the evenings (at least 2 days a week). It is starting to get too hot for hard runs after work (yeah, its only April, welcome to Texas). I already do my weight training workouts at 5am on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. Now it is time to move my interval runs to the morning before the sun comes up and take up Yoga a couple nights a week.
April Goal #4: Run a race and play more tennis.
April Goal #5: Do at least a one minute plank every single day. (I already do these on every weight training days, adding in the other days of the week).
April Goal #6: No frivolous spending. OK, I lost some weight this year and have been spending entirely too much money on clothes. It all stops in April. Here are the rules:
- If I don't NEED it, I don't buy it. Meaning unless I lose all my clothes in a closet robbery and I am forced to go naked, I don't NEED anymore clothes. This also includes make-up, beauty products, hair products, workout clothes, etc. I have enough stash of this stuff to last me years.
- No Target for the month of April. I don't NEED anything there.
- Grocery shopping is for groceries only.
- I go out to lunch during the workweek only once a week and have a strict $10 a week budget for outings.
Which brings me to April Goal #7.
April Goal #7 Save Money and pay off car in the next six months. All that money that I am usually wasting away will be put into savings and/or used to pay additional funds on my car in order to pay it off in the next six months. (Good thing I bought my Jack White concert tickets/plane tickets to LA during my spend-it-all mentality in March)
April Goal #8 My final goal for April is to not procrastinate my obligations. Take a little time each day to do the things I have to do, rather than let them pile up and then spend HOURS dreading something that could have been accomplished in as little as 10-15 minutes a day. This mostly includes the receipts and billing for Hubbies company and house cleaning, but really could include any chore.
So that is it. Wish me luck. I'll be a little quiet this month working towards my goals. I'll catch up with you in May and let you know how I did!